Day 79 Ferry to Porvenir - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2000

Day 79 Ferry to Porvenir

Up early to ride the 5 kms to catch the ferry. The crossing is 3 hours. We arrive in Porvenir after noon and find an office with tourist information. We are hungry and stop at the Croatia Inn that served comida del dia... a soup with one medium size chunk of beef, a potato and an end piece of corn on the cob. Then the second course of chicken and potatoes and fruit cocktail for dessert. The restaurant is busy. The plan is to set off and find a place to free camp after 50km. This will place us in a position to reach San Sebastian tomorrow.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road is unsealed but mostly good, and hilly in the beginning. The road follows the coast mostly along the strait of Magellan, then turns west. We start to have a tailwind, so hills and some not very nice car drivers, a red car we think hurrying to catch the 5pm ferry, almost runs Patrick off the road and came even closer to Rachel.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We find a nice spot to camp; we can see the water. Because our lunch was so big, we eat a cold meal of peanut butter and crackers inside the vestibule of the tent. The wind is strong and becoming colder.

Good thing we put the tent East of a rise. This shelters us during the night as another strong windstorm sweeps over Tiera del Fuego.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 3,186 km (1,979 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0