Day 56 Hotel las Horquetas - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

December 17, 1999

Day 56 Hotel las Horquetas

When we wake up at 6, it seems the wind has died down, but as soon as we emerge from our pit it blows us right in the face.

It seems to be blowing even more from the west and after a few km we give up trying to cycle and walk on in the ditch. Patrick keeps up hope for the turn in the road, but it never comes, instead the road heads ruler straight to its junction with Ruta 39. Patrick's nose is dripping, and he keeps wiping it with a gloved hand. Then he discovers that if he waits 10 seconds past the point, he would have wiped it, the wind just flows the drop into the pampas. Saves effort and Rachel's gloves!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walk to the horizon, hoping that beyond is the turn in the road, but the road keeps going straight. 

Walking to the next point, hoping the road will turn, but the road keeps going straight. And the wind blows across our faces.

The only way to get to the hotel is to just. keep. going.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, we reach the junction, 7 km to the hotel, and finally a tailwind!!!! We fly into the parking area of the hotel. Patrick is ahead and has already ordered 2 cups of coffee by the time Rachel walks in. The coffee tastes so good. Rachel felt numb unable to more, and arms so tired from holding the bike in the wind. We have jamon y queso sandwiches.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We are not picky about the room. It is a place out of the wind and cold. It is big enough for our bikes to fit inside. We have hot showers and also not picky. Though it's one of those times you are happy to have poor vision.  Then crawl under the covers to keep warm and rest and read. It is only 1pm.

Heart 0 Comment 0

At 3pm, Rachel goes and orders 8 jamon y queso sandwiches, 2 for now and 6 to take on the road for tomorrow. We have to keep track of our food we've packed along and the number of meals we may still need. Never know when we can replace supplies.

At 6:30pm we emerge from the room to get water to cook...Inside is the German cyclist that we met on the ferry to Chile Chico!! We exchange what each have done the past few days. Last night we must have been very close camping. He had ordered a pizza and drinking wine.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We eat 2 pizzas and beer for supper! This morning was a struggle but having the afternoon to relax makes a nice half rest day.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,450 km (1,521 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0