Day 43  Puyuhuapi - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

December 4, 1999

Day 43  Puyuhuapi

Residencia Elizabeth

We heard the rain all night. We pack up under cover of the porch. Alan had left his things in the rain. We had managed to get the tent dry.

We continue on following Lago Rosselto. Sometimes the rain is a tiny drizzle and then it would come down hard. A few hills are steep, and Rachel has to walk up. One particular hill is during a fierce pouring rain, the ferns are huge, and we think big enough now to take refuge from the rain under them.

We see Puyuhuapi and Seno Ventisquero, a fjord that is part of Canal Puyuhuapi that connects to the sea. Alan has arrived ahead of us and is sitting by a hostel finishing his lunch. We have decided to stop early and continue to the hanging glacier only 30kms tomorrow. Alan is on a shorter time schedule and decides to ride on. We say goodbye and wish each other good luck. Riding with him has been nice for Patrick, more his style and speed of cycling than with Rachel.

We ride through town and see all next to each other Coca Cola signs with Supermercado and a name of the establishment. Patrick serches the streets and fins Residencia Elizabeth for us to stay. 

The rain continues to arrive in waves. During a break, we go in search of food. All the supermercados sell basically the same stuff, though some have better fruit and vegetables. 

Rachel cooks dinner on the porch. We have fried eggs and potatoes with onions, and hot dogs. The room is small when all our stuff is spread around. Amazing how contained our things look when packed in the panniers on the bike, and how quickly the bags explode when we stop.

We settle in, reading and glad to have had a hot shower and be dry from the rain. 

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,839 km (1,142 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0