Day 34 Invited to stay with Chilean family: Very Dutch Family - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 25, 1999

Day 34 Invited to stay with Chilean family: Very Dutch Family

We pack up early. There are two other couples camping still in their tents. One couple we had camped next to in Pucon. We talked last night about the distance they had travelled in the two weeks, all the way South. We are getting excited to reach Torres del Paine, Ushuaia and Teirra del Feugo.

Our plans today is to go to Dalcahue 60kms. We are in a bus stop eating and a blue van pulls up, rolls down the window and talks to Patrick. We find out his wife is Dutch and he has 8 children. He invites us to visit his Casa.

Patrick gets directions and we arrive just under two hours later. Two men are working on a building a structure that is part of future campground. We find out that no one is home, we were expecting the Dutch wife to be there. We decide to wait, and soon we see the blue van arrive.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Yolande, his wife will be home tomorrow, the children home in a few hours. We pitch our tent, take a short walk in the woods. The children come home, eight blond blue-eyed and freckled.

The oldest 3 or 4 children speak Dutch. Patrick plays soccer with the children. Ruben has fixed a rice dish with children and red sauce for dinner. We eat after Ruben has taken us on a quick trip to Castro and the artisan market. Patrick buys a carving. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have seen the road we will cycle tomorrow. There are a few more of those nasty hills.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,503 km (933 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0