Day 19 Climbing a volcano - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 10, 1999

Day 19 Climbing a volcano

Our German neighbors wake us at about six. There is no wind! We eat some cereal and walk to the Turistel Office at about 6:30. In the office we get fitted with bulky mountaineering boots, waterproof pants and jacket, and we all get a backpack with crampons, gators, gas mask, gloves and hat. To that we add camera gear, water and food. There are three more in our group, two German girls and a Sweed. Our guide's name is Oscar.

A mini van takes us to the ski ledge at the base of the volcano. There we all opt to take the ski lift to its highest station. It coasts an extra 3000Pesos per person but shaves a nice bit off the walk. 

At the ski station we immediately step onto snow. Oscar shows us how to use our ice-ax to walk, and how to use it in case you fall and slide down to stop yourself. Carefully we step out on the flank of the volcano, it is steep and scary. With Oscar in the lead, we zig zag up the side of the volcano, especially hard is turning, the icy snow feels slippery.  There are several other groups on the mountain.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oscar helps Rachel make a turn
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's a beautiful day. During the walk Patrick mostly just looks at where to find the grip for his foot. He certainly does not want to look down. Oscar sometimes chips toe-holds in the hard-packed snow. Patrick cannot believe he is doing this, as he doesn't like heights. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel can't believe she is doing this either
Heart 0 Comment 0

We make good time. After about two hours, halfway up we stop and eat, then another nonstop push to the summit. It is a perfect day; the view is awesome in all directions. We can see several other volcanoes and lakes.

Oscar is as enthusiastic as us when he detects magma in the crater. As he holds onto us we all take a peek down and see an intense red hot spot where fluid rock comes up.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This volcano is due for an eruption. Every once in a while, we catch a strong sulfur smell. We all put on our gas masks to protect ourselves from dangerous gasses. Because of that we do not stay long on the summit, just long enough to take lots of pictures and feel good about reaching 2840meters.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oscar our guide
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first part of the downhill we use our crampons. They give excellent grip but you need to be careful not to stumble with them. After a while we take an easier route; on our butts, using the ice ax as a brake we sled gown the volcano.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, we sled down the side of the volcano on our butts
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before we know it we are back down. At the office we all receive a diploma for reaching the summit. It was a good day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0