Day 185 To Puno - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2000

Day 185 To Puno

The bed was too short for Patrick to stretch out completely.  If he did his feet would reach the end of the blankets and get cold.  So he sleeps on his side, but that makes his hip and shoulder push through the thin mattress (if you could call it that).  So Patrick wakes up with a sore side, rolls over, goes back to sleep, and wake up with another side sore.  But it was cheap, plus there wasn’t that many options.  

It’s cold in the morning.

We are still on Bolivian time so it's only 6:30 and we are ready to go.  A long downhill gets us out of town, after that its mostly flat along farmlands and the lake.  We have about 80 km left to Puno and are making good time.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At about 30 km there is a hill with Indian heads molded from rock / concrete on both sides of the road.  We take a short break and follow the bay into Puno.  From a distance it looks like a very large city built against a hill.  We have no trouble finding a hotel, hotel Tumi, recommended in our guidebook.  A room with private bath is only 20 soles ($6USD).  It’s a bit of a haul to get all our gear plus the bikes up the narrow stairs to the third floor but we manage.

After a clean up, we find a Chinese restaurant (Chifa), eat and explore the city center a bit.  There is a fairly nice pedestrian mall, lots of places to eat, and a plaza with a nice church.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 5,782 km (3,591 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0