Day 183 Rest day in Copacabana - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2000

Day 183 Rest day in Copacabana

We have decided to stay another day so hopefully Patrick feels better.  We sleep in, read, and have a pancake breakfast at the Cupula restaurant.  After that some more reading.                       

It’s close to noon when we get active, we walk up the hill behind the hotel.  On the top is a series of chapels and crosses, the goal of many of the pilgrims that have flocked to Copacabana this Easter weekend.  It’s a curious spectacle.  All along the steep path and stairs up are stalls selling wishes.  There are model cars, trucks, houses, little suitcases stuffed with money, wads of American dollar bills, fake gold and silver, all material possessions people might wish for.  The idea is to buy the item you want and take this up to the holy mountain where a row of altars and Indian priests await to bless the items (with beer) so you may acquire them in real life.  A curious mixture of materialism and religion.  We observe for a while and take some pictures.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back down we walk into town and buy some saltenas for lunch.  We have lunch in the hotel garden (nice green grass, the first we’ve seen in Bolivia).  After that we read and write some more.  Tom and Fee have left for Puno, maybe we will see them later in June in Boise.

We go into town once more to buy milk, water, bread and fruit, spend the last of our Bolivianos and exchange $50 USD for Peruvian Soles.  Tomorrow is Sunday, it’s easier to have some cash.  We eat again at our hotel, the trout is great.  

Three nights in a row now trout from Lake Titicaca and you can request music.  They have Dire Sraits!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0