Day 182 Copacabana: To Isla del sol - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2000

Day 182 Copacabana: To Isla del sol

We are supposed to be at the waterfront at 8:00 am. So we can depart to Isla del Sol at 8:15. Well, the boat leaves a bit late.  We choose to sit inside, a plywood box with kitchen chairs bolted to the deck.  It takes about two hours to get from Copacabana to the eastside of the island.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

First, we stop at a small town where we visit, or are supposed to visit, a museum.  We walk in the town for some pictures.  Then we watch a soccer game near the beach.  After half an hour the trip continues, to the northern end of the island.  From the beach, we walk about 45 minutes uphill to an Inca temple.  Patrick says, "all I see is a labyrinth of small rooms and hallways, most of the roof is gone." He was expecting a higher degree of stone work, these rocks are just roughly stacked together, nothing like the Inca pictures we saw from our neighbor Bryce Sloan.       

Most of the passengers on our boat return to the beach and continue their tour to Isla del Luna.  We and a south african couple have opted to walk the length of the Island, to be picked up at four at the southern end.

It’s a beautiful walk, the trail mostly follows the crest of the mountains making up the island.  We have alternating views in both directions.  In the east we can still see the ice covered mountains.  About halfway we meet Adam and Joan.  They are walking south to north and will spend a night on the island.  So far they are not impressed with the hike, which puzzles us; it is beautiful!  Tom and Fee are nice companions.  They lived in England for eight years, he is a vet, she a veternarian nurse.  We chat and stay together.  We come across some kids herding sheep, for 50 centaovos we can take a picture.  At a nice high point where we can see in four directions we have lunch.  

Then its another hour to the Inca steps, leading down to the boat dock.  We make it just before four, but our boat hasn’t arrived yet.  We decide to take another boat home, so we don’t have to wait for the people on our boat to do their sight seeing here.  It’s a slow one though, after stopping at some more ruins on the south tip of the island, we puddle for two hours to get back.

Patrick is not feeling too great, he has caught a cold and has a bit of a fever.  We eat at the restaurant above the Cupula hotel and visit with Tom and Fee.  Patrick goes to bed early.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0