Day 179 One more day in La Paz - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2000

Day 179 One more day in La Paz

We have breakfast of museli and yogurt at a mom and pop place, then go to the fancy coffee bar for cappuccino.  Rachel is writing post cards when Matt & Martin walk in for a cup of coffee.  We walk to the Netherlands Embassy and Patrick talks with a dutch woman to find out the latest about the barricades.  Seems things have calmed down.

We find a hipermercado and shop for our 2 day cycling to Copacabana.  We take a minibus back to the main square.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are in an internet place with each of us at a computer to answer our mail.  Suddenly, the place is packed with noisy Israelis.  One demands to have my computer in exchange for another.  Patrick says no way, Rachel points out how obnoxious they are.  Another quietly explains to Patrick that the computer Rachel is using gives access to a game that is being played, a final that the Israelis are in.  Patrick says if they had explained it that way instead of demanding, we would’ve helped and changed computers, but no way with the way it was asked.  They continue to crowd around us, we continue to answer email. They continue to demand Rachel's computer, Patrick asks one to get his cigarette out of Rachel's face.  The guy who talked to Patrick, approaches Rachel.  She says she'll only move to another computer if he will talk with his friends about their obnoxious behavior and attitude.  Rachel logs off, and they get the computer .... 

...and they continue to be rude.

We take our things back to the hotel, relax and pack a little. We head out again, mail the postcards.  Find and internet place again, with all the commotion earlier Rachel hadn’t been able to respond to Mike, the supervisor about returning to work.  She had sent off a message about tentatively returning the middle of June.  

There is a message from Sarah, Rachel's sister about their mom.  A week ago, she had fallen in the yard and broken her right hip.  Surgery went well, but a few days postop she had problems with her bowels and vomiting.

Rachel tries to phone home, but only a busy signal at Cowden.  Calling her sister and David her brother, there are only answering machines at Rochelle and Springfield. Rachel finally reaches her nephew Jerry & Patty , but they knew less than what Sarah had already written.  Carolyn, sister in law is in Carbondale with her mom who also just had surgery.

We find a Chinese place for dinner.  Rachel finally reaches David and he fills her in.  Rachel offering to get a flight on Thursday, David tells her he doesn't think that is necessary.  Mom seems to be recovering and can stay 3 weeks in a transition unit in Effingham.  

Rachel tells David in 3 weeks we would be in Cusco, Peru and will fly home from there.  Rachel will then stay the rest of May to help out with Mom’s recovery.

 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0