Day 178 Rurrenabaque to La Paz - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2000

Day 178 Rurrenabaque to La Paz

We are supposed to appear at the TAM office at nine o’clock to get tickets (they only issued a receipt when we paid and made the reservations).  At nine, we are told to come back at ten, Patrick thinks they do not want to issue tickets until the plane from La Paz is in the air.  They have a system; our receipts get collected, taken to an office out back, and then we are summoned in the office to receive the ticket.  Then the bad news; wait until one.  

At one we board a pick up truck, together with luggage, and get driven to the airport.  A tropical downpour comes down.  We wait.  At three a plane lands, it’s the afternoon plane on which Martin has a seat, he leaves before us.  We have to wait another hour, but finely get on our way.  We shouldn’t complain, Sue, Joan and Adam heard this morning there would be no busses leaving Rurrenbaque for La Paz today due to the blockades.  Next available seats on TAM  flights aren’t until Friday.  They might be stuck for awhile.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are only delayed, it’s past five when we land, hard and heavy, in La Paz.  The altitude hits us hard.  Martin has been waiting and together with Canadian Matt, we take a taxi downtown.  La Paz seems calm, we see no military.  Our room this time has cable with CNN.  What luxury!  We walk to Macdonalds for a burger and relax in our room.  

Since we got here so late, we have decided to take one more day to get organized and check on the road situation.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0