Day 162 Rest Day in Cochabamba - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2000

Day 162 Rest Day in Cochabamba

We start this morning after sleeping in and reading a bit in bed by going out for an “American” breakfast.  Not cheap (for Bolivia) but good at Oumbo’s on the Prado, a ritzy boulevard in the wealthy northern part of the city.

After that we go in search of a shopping center, in the same area.  We find it indeed, its impressive for Bolivia (escalators!) but there is nothing in it we need.  Next, we go to an internet café, they seem to be everywhere, and do some research on flights back to the states.  Seems like that might get a bit expensive and Delta doesn’t fly from Quito, Ecuador where we plan on ending the tour.  We also compose a newsletter to update whoever wants to know our progress since Buenos Aires.

After that it is time again for food, we visit a Mexican restaurant.  Rachel has been craving tacos and burritos for a while now. Patrick heads back to the hotel then, while Rachel scours the streets in search of provisions for the ride to La Pas.  We need water, cookies, bread and fruit.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chocolate! The Dutch are the number one chocolate eaters in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fellow cycle tourer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Patrick cleans the chains and chainwheels in the meantime.  They have suffered a lot on the dusty dirt roads.  Several bolts need to be retightened and his rear tire is starting to bulge at the side well.  Rather than letting it fail first, he replaces it with our last spare tire now, so we can keep the old one for emergencies.

We talk awhile with two Dutch guys from the MTS in Utrecht.  They are working on a program here involving AutoCAD software and mechanical engineering.

For dinner, we are drawn to the Golden Arches we discovered by surprise during our little walk today.  Dessert is even more lavish, enormous banana splits at Oumbo’s!  

That should get us up the hill tomorrow!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0