Day 159 To Aguile: partly by truck - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2000

Day 159 To Aguile: partly by truck

Patrick isn’t feeling well this morning.  We pack up and continue on.  We do about 30 km’s before taking a ride on the back of a truck that was going 15 km’s south of Aquile. (30 km’s ride).  The road is beautiful scenery, the surface still rocky and with ruts.  One viewpoint around a corner showed the confluence of two rivers.

Then back on the bikes the last 15 km’s to town is rough.  We are low on water, it is hot and dusty and.... what a climb! The last km dropping down into town.  The main street at the other end of town is blocked off because a bridge is out.  We are directed to a side street and Patrick finds a restaurant selling Fria coca cola.  Rachel thinks the thought of having a coke was all that kept him going the last few km’s.  He’s still not feeling well.

We find a recommended Hotel Escudo.  First, the lady indicates there are no rooms and takes Patrick next door to Hotel Italia, but on the return, she now says there is a room….It’s upstairs, the stairs are steep concrete with no sides.  The bathroom is dirty, but the shower is hot.  Patrick fixes one of our emergency meals—Beef stroganoff.  They always taste good when you are not feeling well.  Something familiar.

Rachel goes out and buy more bread and bananas and Agua.  Aquile had been devastated by an earthquake a while ago, and is rebuilding. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick's not feeling well
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 5,228 km (3,247 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0