Day 158 Halfway to Aquile Free Camping: following the river - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2000

Day 158 Halfway to Aquile Free Camping: following the river

Again, there is a climb to get out of another Bolivian City, Sucre.  We reach a summit by a cement factory then a long downhill.  The road turns to dirt.  Over a long stretch men and machinery are working on widening the road from a one lane to a two lane road and construction concrete gullies to the sides to catch water and debris.  But the way they are steeply carving into the loose rock and rubble it seems like to Patrick, they are asking for slides. 

 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We get down to a river and start to follow that downstream.

Along the waterside are frequent small villages and lots of farmland with good looking crops.  We get about 80 km’s today.  Hopefully close enough to reach Aquile tomorrow.  At a nice spot, just after a long climb that took us high above the river, there is a new cut through abandoned a section of the old road that curved around the hill top.  We push our bikes over the sand berm and find a small level spot with cover by some thorny trees and scrubs.

Before we pitch the tent, we fix our Chinese left overs from last night and heat up some water for washing.  As dusk falls at about seven, we finally pitch the tent and call it a day.  As soon as we are in and it gets dark traffic seems to pick up.  

Lots of trucks headed for Cochabamba.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 5,183 km (3,219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0