Day 155 To Sucre - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2000

Day 155 To Sucre

Last night we went to sleep very early, it started to get dark at seven.  So we wake up very early this morning, at seven o’clock we are already to get going.  We load our bikes after rolling them down into the gully and push them back through the riverbed to the road.  We take another look at the "out of place" suspension bridge and descend to the river.  From there on it’s climbing this morning.  

For about 20 kms the road follows a river up, passing a few small towns.  There are some free camp possibilities in the wide river plains, but not as nice as the spot we found last night.  At a small town, Patrick stops to let Rachel catch up and to take a picture of an oversized suburban-like vehicle stuffed with people.  A young man comes up to us and introduces himself as Ramiros, a dentist from Sucre.  He is doing checkups on school kids as part of his studies.  He says his wife is Greek and gives us his telephone number so we can contact him tonight to get together.

The climb continues.  

We make it on some fruit, cookies and a swig of whiskey.  Then a downhill into a beautiful green valley full of little farms and eucalyptus trees.  We get to Yotala, eat lunch and have a cold coke.  The last 15 km’s is uphill again, along a river.  As we enter the outskirts of Sucre the road climbs steeper, again we have to work hard to get to our destination.  

We find a room in Hostal Charcas, the last one according to the woman that checks us in.  A double bed and private bathroom for 75 Bolivianos.  After we have settled in and showers we have a belated lunch in the Chinese restaurant next door.  We walk around the plaza and admire some of Sucre’s white washed buildings and churches.  The plaza is very nice with lots of people hanging out.

Later in the evening we call Ramiros house and walk over to their little house nearby the plaza.  We are received by his wife Eva, from Greek origin, but she lived and worked in Switzerland and England.  Ramiros joins us a bit later together with his surgeon friend and his interior decorator wife.  We have a pleasant evening going through Eva’s travel pictures.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 5,104 km (3,170 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0