Day 131 San Salvador de Jujuy: process of mailing a package home - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

March 1, 2000

Day 131 San Salvador de Jujuy: process of mailing a package home

It's drizzling as we go for breakfast. Then the goal for the morning is mailing a package home. We find the main post office.

The package is unacceptable, not wrapped properly and about 50 grams over a kg. The lady ignores that so that we don't have to go to customs, but the package still needs to be wrapped in paper. We didn't quite get the whole story. We find a shop, buy some paper and return to the P.O. She sees us start to wrap the package, stops us and keeps pointing to the shop on the opposite corner.

We go into the shop, the man is wrapping another package, very slowly. Finally, it's our turn, we try to explain it's a package for the United State. He understands, the difference is in the tape: Clear tape for international and very precisely placed in an X on the ends. We return to the post office, there is a line now.

Finally, the package is sent.

We wander around the mercado central. Then shop for supplies at the grocery shop. We return to the hotel and Patrick works on the bikes. For lunch we return to the Chinese Restaurant for the buffet. With a big lunch, we go to the pub for empanadas and beer for dinner.

Time to move on tomorrow, so we do some packing and turn in early.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0