Day 117 Iguazu Falls: Argentinian side - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 16, 2000

Day 117 Iguazu Falls: Argentinian side

Today we're going to give the Argentinian side of the falls another try. Monday, while we got rained out, we did discover that we need more than half a day to see this side properly.

After breakfast we take the 8:40am bus to the Falls and start by walking the 1 km long upper walk. This series of paths, boardwalks and bridges leads us over the numerous channels right at the crest of the falls. With the sun still low it is a pleasant and very scenic walk.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Afterwards we walk the lower hike again, this time there are no clouds or rain. At the furthest point of this hike, we board a small launch for a short ride to Isla Grande San Martin where there are more walks. Especially the viewpoint at San Martin Falls is spectacular.

After we complete this walk and return to the mainland, we hike back up to the visitor center for lunch. Another buffet deal with salads, potatoes, vegetables and different kinds of meat.

Ten at 2 we board a local bus for a short ride to Puerto Canoas. Here there used to be a boardwalk over the river to the brink of the falls at Garganta del Dialbo, but these got washed away during a recent flood. The park made a good deal out of that though and will probably never reconstruct for now they can charge $4 per person for a 5 minute launch ride to where the boardwalk is intact. It's worth it, standing on the brink of the largest of the Iguazu Falls even though it's with a couple of busloads of tourists.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now that we have seen quite a bit of the Falls, we ride the bus back to town and take another dip in the pool. We watch a movie, go out for dinner about 7:30pm and not make this a late night. 

Tomorrow we will go on.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0