Day 11 Salto del Laja: Meeting Trevor Lund - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 2, 1999

Day 11 Salto del Laja: Meeting Trevor Lund

Campground

Just past Chillan the divided four lane Pan America highway turns to a two lane road. The shoulder stays though but it gets a lot rougher with potholes and gravel sections. Also there is a big road construction project going on to widen to four lanes with lots of construction traffic with vehicles parked on the shoulder.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At least it's not raining.

The dark clouds of yesterday are still around, and just out of Chillan it gets very foggy. We meet an Englishman, Trevor Lund,  (Addendum: in 2020, Rachel reconnected with Trevor on FB, he has written a book "North to Alaska". Rachel found the picture we took of him. He had written in his diary that we met at 9am on Ruta 5 South of Los Carlos). He is on his way from Ushuaia to Alaska, but only has another 8 months to go. We give him our address and invite him to stay in Boise. 

Meeting Trevor Lund
Heart 0 Comment 0

He tells us briefly about the beauty of Patagonia, the roads broke all of his racks and about the wind. Since he had a headwind we should be ok.

At Salto del Laja we find a cluster of campgrounds, most are still closed, near some pretty nice falls. We find a nice shady spot with its own sink for $3 and a hot shower. Spaghetti for dinner.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 507 km (315 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0