Day 109 Thermas de Dayman - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2000

Day 109 Thermas de Dayman

This morning we wake up and decide to pack and ride onto the next hot springs. We went to be so early last night and had undisturbed sleep; the Uruguayans are more considerate of their neighbors.

Anyway, we think we can beat the heat to the Termas del Dayman just before Salto, and we succeed, mostly by getting there before noon. The temperature again rises over 40degrees C today.

The scenery remains unchanged the last couple of days. Golling green hills with lots of small farms, groves of eucalyptus trees, sometimes lining the road but most often too far away to provide any shade for us. We hear and see parakeets and birds with long funny tails.

Dayman is even more touristy than Guaviyu but also not in their high season. We camp at the campground of the hotel. There is a small concrete pool about 3 feet deep with thermos water. But relative to the air temperature 40 degree C feels cool. We stay most of the afternoon in the pool talking with an Argentinean couple on vacation. Patrick talks with the man who is an architect and speaks English. He has lived with a family in Washington DC for a while when he was 27. His wife is in the medical profession working in OB/GYHN. Sh says at a clinic she works at in the mornings makes $4/hour and has a second job in the after at a hospital. 

Patrick and the man compare jobs and the way things are done differently.

The evening we find a Parilla and have a Grande cerveza.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 km (18 miles)
Total: 3,614 km (2,244 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0