Day 106 Puerto Viejo: Rachel has a crash - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 5, 2000

Day 106 Puerto Viejo: Rachel has a crash

Just outside Mercedes we cross the Rio Negro over a large, long bridge. All of a sudden, Patrick riding ahead hears a shout from behind and from the corner of his eye see Rachel hit the asphalt.  As she was leaning over to tap the left front pannier back a little on the rack, she lost control. Patrick asks, "are you all right?" then "You've proven that you do need to wear a helmet". It's always best to stop cycling before attempting this. Rachel hit her chin and has two cuts on her right leg, but fortunately no serious damage. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We continue a bit further towards Fray Bentos, but then take a dusty dirt road to cut off towards Paysandu. It's another hot one today. Just like Tres Bocas we hit another road construction, Not much shade anywhere, they are even cutting trees close to the road...safety before shade.

Heart 0 Comment 0
A shop with shade, ice cream and cold spring water
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tres Bocas is a welcome oasis, we treat ourselves to ice crams and cold bottle of spring water. We push onto San Javier and 5 km more to the tourist attraction of Puerto Vieje, a nice place for swimming in the river, a snack bar with pizza and cold drinks.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 3,475 km (2,158 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0