Day 104 Mercedes: grape vineyards - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 3, 2000

Day 104 Mercedes: grape vineyards

We cycle out of town through shade of the sycamores that line both sides of the road just as when we entered yesterday from the other side of town.

Workers are walking toward town from the vineyards. Trucks are loaded with grapes and boxes at the end of the rows also filled is a testament that they must have been out early to work. For us our day just begins at 8:30 am.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first goal is Nueva Palmira, a small town at the mouth of Rio Uruguay and Rio Parana. We ride through town, find a store for something cold to drink. The owner is very enthusiastic and insists on having his picture taken with Patrick behind the bar, wearing Uruguay soccer fan hats.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here it is almost 50km to Dolores through mostly hilly terrain. Yesterday's ride had been unusually cold, today we get smacked by the heat. Close to 100 degrees in the shade, way over that in the sun where we ride on the open road. 

We get to Dolores just afternoon, stores are closed for siesta, but we find a gas station for ice cream and cold pop. After a rest we build up enough courage for the next 34 km to Mercedes.

 At the outskirts of town we find a grocery store, then a short downhill to the Rio Negro where a campground is located on an island in the River. 

The camping is busy and rather noise, not as idyllic as described in the lonely planet, but we find a shady spot on the perimeter of the camping area.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon, we go swimming in the River. There is a beach and the water is cool. There is a Uruguayan navy office and cadets as lifeguards. When it cools down later in the evening we cook ourselves pancakes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
They love their mate
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0