Day 102 Colonia Uruguay: Ferry crossing - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2000

Day 102 Colonia Uruguay: Ferry crossing

We are up at 7am to begin the next stage of our cycling trip. 

It takes us a half hour to carry all the stuff downstairs. The hotel owners watch us as we load the bikes on the sidewalk and wave us away. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We get to the ferry station by 8am. The traffic has not been too bad. Patrick goes into the terminal to fight the bureaucracy, Rachel has it easy to just watch the bikes. 
He comes out to bring the bikes inside, he has purchased the tickets and now must stand in another line to pay and fill out immigration forms. He wasn't the bikes visible too, easier to explain. He pays, then we go to another line to check in luggage. Our bikes are tagged, and we are told to go to another place to the bikes to be loaded on the ferry.

Then we go through immigration.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We board the ferry. We are surprised that the chaotic driving and pedestrian pushing we experienced that the Argentinians today are actually queued up to board in an orderly fashion.

We arrive in Colonia about 1:30pm, claim our bikes, the immigration stamp for Uruguay has already been done. Patrick fins a Cambio to exchange money, and tourist information. We cycle through town and 5km to the municipal campground, set up camp and take a bus back into town. The streets are lined with Sycamore trees.

We wander around the old ruins of the Portuguese fort, grocery shop and ride the bus back to the campground. Dinner is steak with onion, boiled potatoes and corn.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another ferry is arriving
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0