Day 101 Buenos Aires: seeking medical advice - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 31, 2000

Day 101 Buenos Aires: seeking medical advice

This morning we take the subway early, 8:30am after breakfast at the same place as yesterday. Rachel looks at the people and wonders if they are happy, they didn't look happy and many looked dazed and still asleep. Patrick reminds her that it is Monday....and we are happy not be working.

We pick up some medicine for me and then across the street go to the Alamena Hospital (German) to find advice for when/if we take malaria pills. The receptionist speaks German which Patrick can understand and she sends us up to Internal Medicine. The receptionists there only speaks Spanish. Finally, she calls the receptionist downstairs to come upstairs to be a interpreter. It is only a matter of registering.

We wait only a little bit, and finally called into the Doctor's office. There have been only 2 other people waiting. We go into the Lady Doctor's office and she says to Patrick we have to decide on which "idiom" (words) to use. She speaks Spanish, German and English, it was decided to use English.

We discuss our route and which areas match which anti malaria pills need to be taken. Now there are a dozen people in the waiting room. We go to the pharmacy across the street. We will have to return after 6pm to get the medicine.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We take the subway to San Martin Plaza and Rachel goes to the American Express Office again for mail. Nothing yet and she had been expecting a letter from her mother. We find Internet on Lavelle Street with a special promotion of $2 an hour and we checked email. We take the subway back to the hotel.

Patrick goes back out to mail our package of souvenirs home via UPS, he found electrical tape (as valuable as duct tape for touring) and gasoline for our stove. Lunch was big enough that we don't need a big dinner. We do have a sandwich at Burger King, and a final beer at the bar across the street.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0