Day 100 Buenos Aires: tourist sites - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 30, 2000

Day 100 Buenos Aires: tourist sites

We find a Panaderia for breakfast for $2, cafe con leche and 3 sweet rolls. Then we wander toward San Telmo market on the square. We find many "antique vendors" and tourists mingle among the locals. There is tango dancing on the square by younger dancers. On the corner of the street is a Tango "veteran", dancers with an accordion player. Many of the tourists have Falkland Island and Antarctica T-shirts.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We see Peter briefly; he flies home today at 5:30pm to Rio De Janeiro. we say our goodbyes. We walk toward the waterfront and find the sailing ship "Uruguay", we had heard about in stories from Laurie Dexter on the way to Antartica. We are amazed that such a beautifully crafted ship (yet small) made it across the Drake Passage.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continue along the old warehouses now reclaimed by the University of Argentina with upper class restaurants and McDonald's. We find the ferry office to see what the process is and ticketing for the ferry "Isabel" that we plan on taking on Tuesday to Uruguay.

We take a taxi to Recoleta, and the cemetery where Eva Peron is buried. The taxi driver is older and drives more sensibly.  We decide any future taxi rides will be with older drivers. We find the cemetery, wander around and find the crypt of "Evita". Seems strange to be looking at caskets, though some are very ornate.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We take a taxi with a sensible driver to find a Thai Restaurant downtown, but it is closed. Earlier we had received a book from the Jujuy Province Tourist office that we decide is too heavy to carry and too beautiful and valuable to the tourist office to throw it away (cost of paper and printing) so we return it. Then we take the subway to go back to the hotel. We have pizza at the bar across the street from our hotel, drink beer and watch Tyson box in England. The match only went 1 1/2 rounds.

Heart 0 Comment 0
On the subway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0