Day 1 & 2 Flight to Santiago: So it begins... - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

October 23, 1999 to October 24, 1999

Day 1 & 2 Flight to Santiago: So it begins...

After a breakfast at McDonalds we all drive the rental van to O’Hara.  Unload at United terminal, after that Patrick and his father return the van somewhere outside the airport.  We take the shuttle back and we all check in at about 8 am. United wants $110 for bikes and to check inside the bike box. Joke.  No earlier flight available to Miami.  Ma, pa, Rene and Linda leave on the 10:40 flight to Dules and onto Zaventem.

We have traveled together 3 weeks, meeting them in Chicago, driving to Boise and back to O’hara.

 

We have to wait until 5:00 pm.  Time goes fast. The flight to Atlanta is one and a half hours.  At the approach, we see baseball field where first world series game is played tonight.  A short wait for the next flight, we manage to get a boarding pass for the Chile flight.  There is a very short lay over (3/4 hr.) in Miami, but the plane is on schedule and we make it and we board immediately.  With an 8 ½ hr flight on a 767, we get dinner, try to sleep. But we do not get much rest, there is some turbulence during the night.  

At sunrise we get an awesome view of the Andes ranges while the plane parallels the coast.  Landing at 9 am, custom is a breeze (US citizens pay $45 fee), go through agriculture inspection to show peanut butter, but no problems.  The "something to declare" lines are usually shorter.

At the exit we get jumped for transportation ps 7500 for ride to downtown. OK.  First stop is to Londress, but that is full, then we find a room in Hotel Paris ps 14.000 ($28USD) per night.  The room is on the first floor, but no windows. We shower, then go out, we eat good sandwich, and walk to center.  Most shops are closed for Sunday.  Seems safe, people walking, benches etc.  We get tired easily, and go back to hotel to relax. 

Patrick has enough energy to get Rachel’s bike back together.  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0