Week120: to Tuxpan: long day with a rough start - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2017

Week120: to Tuxpan: long day with a rough start

Today was like the good old days when all you knew about the road was on a paper map and the distance planned for the day. We had not yet looked closely at the elevation profile of today's ride and only remembered that the distance was about 110km. With no access to internet last night that would have to do.

The sky was pink with the first light of sunrise as we headed out. We didn't get very far before the first flat. We'd been plagued with slow leaks, but this tire was flat from a glass sliver. Another flat tire from a metal wire not soon after. Both flats were on Patrick's front wheel, it is time for the Chinese tire to go.

It seems a long time before we finally see an Oxxo. We stop for chocolate milk and snacks. The road is narrow with no shoulder until we turn onto the toll-road (cuota)towards Tuxpan. Lots of rolling hills covered with orange trees. After that there is a nice shoulder and much lighter traffic since most cars seem to favor the free road.

Just before entering Tuxpan, we crossed another milestone: 35,000 km. The signs all say Tuxpan, but for some reason Google calls it Tuxpam and some more. This has been a long day for us, we prefer to get in shortly after noon to avoid the heat of the day, but today the long distance, hills combined with the two early flats makes it about 3:30 before we get in. Fortunately, there has been good cloud cover most of the morning and even though it is very hot, close to 40 degrees, and humid, it could be a lot worse if you're exposed to the sun.

Not having internet last night, we are uncertain about hotels. After crossing the bridge we aim for city center, and at a corner is a nice looking hotel; Posada del Sol. Patrick checks out a nice room, hot water shower, excellent WiFi in a neighborhood of shops and walking distance to the water for 500 Pesos.

We take a taxi to the shopping center for 35 Pesos, ready for a hamburger again. There is a Burger King, but we have been surprised that so far there have been no McDonald's in Mexico. We shop at a big supermarket and plan to return tomorrow on our rest day to replenish supplies for the road.

Sunrise at La Guadalupe beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise at La Guadalupe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barely out of town and still a long ways to go; flat tire number one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Changing to inner tube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see many vehicles with another one in tow. The are car dealers on their way to Belize.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flat tire number two. Damn those Chinese tire, it will have to do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large orange field with lots of roosters. Probably being breeding for cock fighting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weird statue at the entrance to Gutierez Zamora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy selling tamales and chille rellenos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't drive and yak on your cell-phone. What a novel idea. Who would have thought Mexico would be ahead of the US in matters of safety. Maybe the phone mafia lobby isn't quite a strong here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling hills and orange groves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More orange groves and land destined to become orange groves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found a piece of shade for a lunch break. The toll road has a nice shoulder and not much traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing another wide river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green rolling hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing Tuxpan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Achieved 35,000 kilometers. Our goal is to reach 40,000 before we get home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the last bridge into Tuxpan. An oil drilling rig sits in the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 109 km (68 miles)
Total: 35,005 km (21,738 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0