Week 98: Three days in Lima: Bike assembly, shopping and cerviche - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 9, 2017

Week 98: Three days in Lima: Bike assembly, shopping and cerviche

What a difference a day makes. Here we are in South America, trying to remember the few words and phrases we learned when cycling Patagonia and up to Cuzco in 1999-2000 ending in Lima. Cycling from Lima to Boise will connect a dot, in 2006-07 our trip ended with cycling from the Arctic Circle to Boise. This signals the transition to thinking about ending a journey rather than open ended. Though that will be another 6-7 months, there is a subtle change in thoughts and feelings when the goal becomes home.

The time difference has affected us less than we thought. Patrick got Rachel's bike re-assembled the first day and his the next day. We got most of items on the shopping list also mostly on the first day. We needed to replace the tripod that was stuck then broke, new batteries, basic food supplies, lighter, body lotion and sunscreen. We need to be better at using sunscreen, after Antarctica, Peru has the most depleted ozone layer bringing the highest UV exposure. The biggest task was getting a sim card. This was a three day ordeal, more trouble than in all the countries we've travelled through, except maybe the paperwork involved in India. Finally, after the third time returning to the store, we have data.

"Gray hair matters" Rachel says as the man gives up his bus seat for her. We take the bus to downtown Lima. Once you understand the system it's a good way to get around. The reception staff at the hostel explained very well what number bus to take, where to get on and off. We walk around and try to remember things from the previous time in Lima. We find a small restaurant that advertised juices and had a great Mango juice drink. We've only seen the empanadas on one street vendor, so haven't given them a go yet, just remembering how we lived on those in Chile and Argentina.

We had tried to go to Huaca Pucllana on Tuesday only to find it closed, so we walked to Ocean. Miraflora has a great boulevard all the way to the Ocean with a bike/walking path in the middle. For dinner, Patrick tried the Cerviche, a popular seafood dish where lime juice "cooks" the raw fish. Bob, our friend in Boise makes a great Cerviche and we are looking forward to trying his again soon. The dish is believed to have its origins over 2000 years ago.

For one lunch, we scouted out restaurants and see they basically have the same menu and prices. We started to walk away after looking at one menu only to be offered two free Pisco Sours. Pisco Sour is an alcohol cocktail of lemon juice, Pisco (a type of brandy), egg white and a simple syrup. The first Saturday of every February is the official Dia del Pisco Sour Day in Peru

We've decided to start cycling out of Lima, if the roads and traffic are as bad as we've been warned, we'll get a ride. We plan an early start. The hostel staff offered to have breakfast ready for us at 6am rather than the regular 8am time.

After almost a month off the bikes, we'll see how it goes.

Ocean side in Miraflores. Sunbathers along the highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cliffs at Miraflores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surfers practicing their moves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel in Amor Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's a good sized pint. We started off sharing one, but quickly found it went down very smoothly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hostel has a nice patio in front of our room. Perfect to work on getting our bikes re-assembled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza Major de Lima and an ancient police water canon. Also a cop scooting around on his segway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peruvian flag at the Plaza Major de Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza Major and the Cathedral de Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riot police ready for something.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old fountain on the Plaza Major de Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice wooden balconies cantilevered from stone facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Park in downtown Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza San Martin in downtown Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huaca Pucllana historic site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They would ceremonially break a clay pot before starting construction of these holy sites. The shards would be mixed in with the soil as an offering to the gods.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huaca Pucllana is surrounded by modern Lima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards the waiting Andes mountains from Huaca Pucllana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have to try a Pisco Sour, the national drink of Peru. Very nice but potent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0