Week 93: to Pinlaung: Steep hills - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 5, 2017

Week 93: to Pinlaung: Steep hills

"I guess that's a good reminder to be careful not go off the road into the shoulder" Rachel says as we pass a truck being pulled out of the red muck created by all the rain.

After another great breakfast, we set off. Fortunately the rain has stopped, it's not easy to start out cycling in the rain, and it's nice when a rest day has already been planned when it does. The first 30km still following the lake, and we pass by the entrances to all the fancy resorts. We stop for a break and try the samosas and doughnut with sugar. Good thing that we did, because there wasn't very many opportunities for food stops past here. The houses have changed, being two story rectangular buildings with clapboard windows.

Then around 48km we start the first climb of 8km and sections are steep! We seemed to have lost some of our hill climbing muscles after cycling mostly flat roads and then being off the bike for a week. After losing some elevation there is another climb at 63km with a third climb to the highest point today at 70km. Beautiful views of karst mountains.

The last 7 km seem easier after all the steep grades. We get a nice glimpse of the main pagoda. Patrick had recieved a recommendation for Hotel Pinlaung, but we decided to continue a little further and check out the Wine Wine Hotel. For 25,000 kyat the room is decent and we have a nice view of the pagoda, though the water wasn't hot for the shower.

Monk doing his morning rounds to collect food for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Following the eastern shore of Inle Lake headed south again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A full load.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Girl fixing deep fried fritters and samosas. Just in time, we were getting real hungry and we have not seen many restaurants after leaving Nyaung Shwe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road crosses the outlet of Inle Lake. From here this river flows south to the next lake. Our road though climbs about 700 meters to a plateau and Pinglaung, then tomorrow descends again to the next lake. There is a road under construction that follows the river to the next lake, but there is no accommodation. We read some cyclists have stayed in a monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That climb is steep! We grind and walk up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reached the first summit. Two more times we go down a bit just to have to regain it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town along the way. The clouds have thickened and rain is threatening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Final climb to Pinlaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pinglaung temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Pinlaung from the Wine Wine Motel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 26,916 km (16,715 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0