Week 91: to Aunglan: ox carts and sugarcane - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 21, 2016

Week 91: to Aunglan: ox carts and sugarcane

"Haven't seen those for awhile, since Mongolia" Patrick says, as we pass a herd of goats. Other than many oxen drawn carts, an occasional cattle, and dogs, we've not seen many animals on the road like in many countries.

After breakfast and a friendly goodbye by the staff of the hotel, we are on the road before 8. Just as we are about to push off, the owner gives us two cans of coke. The road is much the same as the past couple of days, only we've lost the concrete shoulder. So we are back to dodging potholes and the two inch drop off to the dusty shoulder. Traffic is lighter. Agriculture has changed as we see sugar cane and peanuts. At just about every stupa and temple we pass by there are lines of women shaking offering jars for donations. Some sort of fundraising is going on.

After the road meets the Irrwaddy River again, the road becomes more undulating. We arrive around 1pm and check into the Win Lite Hotel. After cleaning up we walk to a "Chinese" restaurant about 4 blocks north from the hotel on the corner. We return later again for dinner. We have a "deluxe" room with AC and a television and discovered we have HBO!

Leaving the Naung Yoe Guesthouse. They give us two cokes for the road. Great people and good place to stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just outside Pyay we pass the Payagyi Stupa. Built in the 6th or 7th century AD.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing an old bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical road today again. Many large trees to shade us from the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman selling vegetables from her bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Headed down the road. Traffic is not nearly as bad today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monk and his apprentice. They are dropping off these dishes at roadside businesses. We wonder if they will be collected later when they have been filled with food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ox carts and sugarcane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Planting sugarcane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another oxcart headed down a dusty sideroad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oxcart loaded with straw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For a while the road follows the Irrawady river closely.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 26,480 km (16,444 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0