Week 8: to Zajecar: quick ride to beat the heat - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2015

Week 8: to Zajecar: quick ride to beat the heat

The bikes have been stored overnight in a "garage" and it causes some hassle at 5:30 in the morning to find the keys. We want an early start though, first because we are still on Romania (central European) time, and second because it promises to be another hot day. After about 20 km we have the choice between two roads to our destination, either the main one we are on right now, or another that meanders a bit more and passes through some villages. Traffic is light, or we go for the quicker option. It is barely 11:00 when we get to Zajecar and find our Serbia Tis hotel. From the outside it looks like just another concrete and glass building, way past its prime soviet behemoth, on the inside though we find a friendly English speaking receptionist who puts us in the "blue suite" on the fourth floor. There is an ancient elevator that starts and stops with a ca-chunk, but it gets us and our stuff up without climbing stairs. The room has a sitting area, bedroom and two bathrooms, everything in blue..... We relax and watch the giro (tour of Italy) on Eurosport.

After it cools off a bit we go in search of the Irish Pub we read about on tripadvisor. We find it but no Guinness, or Shepherds Pie. Instead they serve excellent lasagna and lager.

Right out of Negotin we climb up onto the plateau. Halfway up we pass a monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up on the plateau we get hazy views of distant mountains and the Danube to our left headed east for the Black Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sections of the road are good. Others have more patches than seems possible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is another hot muggy day. We find some shade for our first food-break. Bread with nutella and a banana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At one point we can see this distinct rock straight ahead, then it appears on our right and by the time we get to Zajecar it is behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zajecar has an Irish pub. Don't get too excited though: they don't have Guinness or Shepherds Pie...... We have an excellent lasagna in a clay dish, but I'm not sure where the Irish is here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our room from the 4th floor of the Serbia Tis Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,879 km (1,788 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0