Week 68: To Khorog: limping into town - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2016

Week 68: To Khorog: limping into town

We did a longer day yesterday with the idea of having a short and easy ride into Khorog today. That turned out a little different.

Rachel develops nausea and cramps overnight and has some “issues” this morning. We pack-up and hit the road anyway. With little or no food for Rachel she is weak and has trouble with the hills we keep encountering. The 47km go slow, and the final brutal hill to the Pamir Lodge almost does her in. We make it though. Rachel goes to sleep immediately while Patrick goes back to town to check out the supermarket we saw on our way into town to buy some supplies.

The Pamir Lodge, although the location is not that great being up a steep hill and a 20min walk back to town, it is a nice place with many cyclists staying here. We meet a “mature” Swiss couple who just came down the M41 Pamir Highway and tell us how beautiful it was. We are having second thoughts on doing the Wakhan Valley road, stories we hear about loose sand and pushing bikes downhill, make us think we prefer the (mostly) asphalt of M41. There are at least a dozen cyclists staying here so there will be lots of good information to gleen about possible routes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 19,109 km (11,867 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0