Week 6: to Jaszjakohalma: leaving a big city... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2015

Week 6: to Jaszjakohalma: leaving a big city...

"The tablet sure is nice to verify that we are going in the right direction" says Patrick as we navigate out of Budapest. Before, there would need to be a constant conferring of a paper map and guessing...how quickly we have adapted to technology that others have been using for a very long time.

We are following a "red" road Route 31 today. There is the interstate, then red roads, then yellow roads and then white roads in order of how busy they may be with traffic. This is the most direct route to the village of our warmshowers host. This route takes us through the part of Hungary that is like the heartland of the USA, prairie and farmlands...and flat. Flat is good for cycling if there is no wind or the wind is in your favor. Today was good.

Peter, our warmshowers host, lives now with his parents, though he had lived in Britain for 7 years and has cycled toured. Occasionally a word is spoken with a British accent. He is very informative about Hungarian history. His parents are of the communist era and would like to see it return. Under communism, people were able to have a house, given land to garden to raise their own food and had worked on the cooperative farms. Many houses we see have beautiful gardens and grape vines that are probably left over from that era.

Peter takes us to another village to enjoy a thermal pool and later watch a football game, Barcelona versus Baylr Munich. We stay up later than we have for a very long time to watch the game.

One of the better photos today..... Leaving a large city just is not very scenic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tomorrow is Boise Bike day, Rachel is getting ready as we ride east out of Budapest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We start seeing storks on their nests.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing the village where our warmshowers hosts Peter Fodor lives.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 1,930 km (1,199 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0