Week 59: To Nahan - 900m: Leaving the lowlands - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2016

Week 59: To Nahan - 900m: Leaving the lowlands

The day starts with rain, a light rain, Patrick doesn't even wear a jacket but Rachel does because she's a little bit cold. We take Kanwali road out of town and we see where the more well off people live. Lined on both sides are big houses, along with multiple signs for all types of education degrees at University, Academy and Institutes. The most prominent degree is for Hotel management, and then for engineering or Biotech.

Once back to NH 72, we cycle pass the Indian Military Academy, a very impressive site. The cadets are all out in the field shouting and parading, then we pass by what looks like barracks, not so impressive. The road has a nice shoulder we are following the Rampur Kala River in forest. It's nice to see green! There is Buddhist stupa in the fields, and plenty of mosques in towns.

At Herbertpur, we leave the main road onto Chakrata road that takes us along the Asan Wildlife Conservation area. Then across a dam on the Yamuna River and continue along an irrigation canal. Before rejoining NH 72, we stop for another break for coffee and the croissants we bought in Rishikesh. Disappointing even with nutella. The croissants were more like a bread texture not flakey, but in all fairness, they were two days old.

After Paonta Sahib we enter a new state, Himachal Pradesh, and this state seems less poor, even though the roads are worse, the shops have a higher standard. We can see Nahan up high on a hill. We'd been climbing for the past 8kms and look back on the Doon Valley. Then at the junction from NH 72 to Nahan, we take a break then begin the 3 km climb, very steep in sections. We reach what looks like the city center, a big red clock tower by a big white mosque and a big field with carnival rides and soccer fields. There are two hotels, we check out the first one that was not very friendly or the room nice. Patrick walks a short distance to check out Hotel Renuka. A much better room for 600 rupees and friendly with a restaurant.

The next two days to Shimla will be climbing.

River crossing. Seems like a great solution to any garbage issue you might have: store it in the riverbed during the dry season, and when it rains it all disappears. Zoom in and you'll notice those nice colors are mostly plastic bags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pass through a wetland area adjacent to the Yamuna River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the next state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tall eucalyptus trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road surface has been pretty good today, smooth asphalt with a good shoulder for part of the way. Just before our final climb there are some roadworks and mud.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A jolly fellow from up north is hanging out at this restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Himachal Pradesh road department has a poet on staff for roadsign slogans. More to follow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Nahan.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 17,027 km (10,574 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0