Week 53: To Varanasi: Arriving in Varanasi - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2016

Week 53: To Varanasi: Arriving in Varanasi

We had made our way to the train station around 7pm, loading all our gear in the back of the tuk tuk. The train was first 40 mins late, then 15 mins and finally arrived 30 mins late. When it pulled into the station we watched for the two-tiered AC car to know which direction we needed to go. The car was at the beginning of the train, so we lugged our gear in that direction, not easy each of us carrying 4 pannier bags and Patrick in addition had the dry bag. There were two cars, finally figured out which one was ours and the seat assignment.

Our assignment was two lower bunks but not in the same compartment, a man was willing to change, so we ended up in just a two bunk end compartment with enough room to stack all the bags. The other compartments had 4 bunks each. A smiling attendant came around giving out two sheets, pillow and blanket to everyone. Security guards carrying rifles walked through the car.

The compartment has a curtain to close for privacy and we settled in soon after the train takes off.

The toilet is a squat toilet and a bit unnerving looking down through the hole seeing the ground pass by. Reminds Rachel of a song her mother used to sing, "Please refrain from flushing toilet while the train is standing in the station, I love you." The night went quickly and more comfortable lying down than trying to sleep sitting in a seat. Well worth the extra cost. Early morning, at one of the station stops, a man jumps on and sells chai, and unlike in western rails or airports, the price is the not raised and we pay the same as sold on the street. Looking at the landscape, we see that it hasn't changed much, still lots of wheat fields.

Then just like that we are in Varanasi. We get our gear off the train and carrying it up stairs across tracks then back down stairs, Rachel waits with gear as Patrick tries to figure out where are the bikes. Forty minutes later, after he first found the cloak room, then the parcel office, he was escorted back to the train and finds the bikes making two trips back to where Rachel waited.

Chaos and traffic jams around Varanasi train station goes to a new level. First there is a barrier designed for pedestrians to navigate but not possible with the bikes. So we halfway lay them down to roll under a bar. Then the road has a solid barrier that we first have to go in the opposite direction we want to go to find a crossover. Sooooo many tuk tuks, motorcycles, bike taxis, tuk tuks, pedestrians, vendor carts, buses and yes not to forget lots of tuk tuks! So much that at times we had to use the bikes more like a scooter pushing with a foot on the ground. We find Singh Guesthouse.

And it's an oasis!

Off the main street on a narrow alley and a beautiful garden, quiet and the room is nice and big, air conditioning (it's getting hot), hot water, restaurant and helpful staff.

Late afternoon, we make our way to the Ganges River and the Ghats, enjoy a nice woodfired pizza for dinner at the Assi Ghat.

Tomorrow we explore more.

The station is a lot busier in the evening. Most long distance trains run at night, probably because of the daytime heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most luxurious sleeper cabins on this train. We are supplied clean sheets, pillow, a blanket and towel. There is AC which keeps the temp nice and the windows closed. No bugs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seen at the Varanasi train station. Is this "The Donald's" campaign manager skipping Florida bail?
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Varanasi train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Singh Guesthouse is near the Ganges River and an oasis of calm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About a hundred meters east of the guesthouse is the Ganges River with its Ghats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 15,026 km (9,331 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0