Week 46: to Ratnagiri: more hills, back to the coast - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 9, 2016

Week 46: to Ratnagiri: more hills, back to the coast

"This is a bonus hill" Patrick says. We knew from the map profile there would be two major climbs and two smaller steep ones. It's all those "bonus" hills in between that become tiring. No surprise over 85% of Ratnagiri district is hilly. The rivers flowing to the Arabian Sea originate from the Sahyadri mountain range.

Since we had dropped down so far from MH269 for a place to stay, we decide to find backroads back to the route from the other side of the river. This was also a steep climb, the same as if we'd gone back up to the main road, where we would have lost and regained elevation anyway. This also cuts off a couple of kilometers.

At the junction with MH 4, we stop for a break and discover another breakfast snack, a sweet bread roll and potato patty sandwich. This was a nice time to take a break for now the climbs begin. They are steep. The last two at 20kms before Ratnagiri were shorter yet we had to walk a few stretches. We are in awe of cyclists who do Devgad to Ratnagiri in one day. The last 8 kms are relatively flat, though we had a bit of a headwind. At one point, coming around a corner, Rachel says, "I thought that was a plain and the tops of palm trees, but it didn't make sense, until then I saw the surf", Patrick agrees that he thought the same thing. We ride along the coast, the road lined with cypress trees.

At the bridge into Ratnagiri, we again see coconuts for sale. We stop for a coconut water drink, a great replenishment of electrolytes "better than a sports drink." We cross the bridge and there is one more hill into town. The first hotel we check wasn't so great for the price, further down the road we check a second one and it's the same. So we go back and check a third place, Sun Star Hotel. The price is 1800rupees, 300 more than the other rooms, but a much better value. The bed isn't just a 3 inch mattress on a plyboard, but soft clean sheets, hot water shower, TV with movie channels and BBC news.

A nice place for a rest day tomorrow.

Ratnagiri, the "downtown" part down by the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing the shortcut up to the main road away from the river. It's very steep!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the plateau, looking east to the Ghats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Food stalls at the junction with Route 4
Heart 0 Comment 0
We discover a new breakfast food. A breadbun with some kind of potato filling, sauce and spices. We're not sure yet what it is called though....
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guy fixing our snack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steep hills again today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back down at sea level
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another climb, another downhill and the next river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monkeys in a mango grove. In celebration of The Chinese New Year of the Monkey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ratnagiri in sight. One more hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last night's room was 500 rupees ($7.50). This is what 1800 rupees buys you. We figure we "earned" it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 12,614 km (7,833 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0