Week 40: Last days in Capetown: leaving the southern hemisphere - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 31, 2015

Week 40: Last days in Capetown: leaving the southern hemisphere

Our time in Africa is counting down.

Capetown has been a terrific rest break. We were able to get around the city very easily with the MyCiTi transit system, saw three movies (Star Wars, James Bond, Specter and The Little Prince), ate well and teeth cleaned, met up with new and old friends. All made easier with Amanda N.'s help! Amanda made the dental appointments a few months ago, received our mail drops, and arranged for the shuttle to the airport for us.

Now New Years Eve, we are checked into the flight to India through customs and immigration, sipping lattes and waiting. On the ride to the airport the radio was playing "the lion sleeps tonight". Reminds Rachel when she was deciding to join Patrick in Capetown in January 1994, of hearing the music from "Out of Africa" being played in the travel clinic in Australia. She was checking to see if vaccinations were up to date for going to Africa.

We will fly to Doha in the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The new year will come in during our layover in Doha before continuing on to Kochi India.

We wish everyone a fun and fantastic 2016!!

We go in for dental check-ups and a cleaning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dog hostel at Amanda's place. Lots of Weiner dogs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet up with Helen Lloyd, an English cyclist, and her friend Johny who are going to ride motor cycles back to England. Helen stayed with us in Boise a couple of years ago when she was riding a bike. She has published two books about her travels: Desert Snow and Siberian Winter Tales.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Capetown airport, getting some shots of the Boeing 787 "dreamliner" we'll be flying to Doha on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice views of the Cape Peninsula after take-off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Capetown and Table Mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thunder storms over Tanzania. We hope they are getting the rains they need.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Doha just before landing. A two hour layover and then the next flight to Kochi India.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0