Week 35: Day 6: day off in Swakopmund: into the Namib desert to see the Welwitshia Mirabilis - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2015

Week 35: Day 6: day off in Swakopmund: into the Namib desert to see the Welwitshia Mirabilis

"What would you do if you arrive here on the weekend?" Patrick says when we see the office of Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR) is closed on Saturday and Sunday. This office is where you buy the permit for the Namib-Naukluft Park.

We are in luxury, staying at Pension Rapmund and B & B...so we indulge in a big breakfast spread. Swakopmund is a very German town including types of foods and business hours. The shops in this very tourist town are open 9 to 5 and close between 1230 and 2pm. Kitchens in Restaurants and Bars close between lunch and dinner, with dinner starting at 7pm. Such a different attitude that time off working is more important than making a little bit more profit.

Today's plan is to do the Welwitschia Valley loop drive. The moon landscape changes constantly. We reach an area with the Welwitschia plants indigenous to Namibia desert east of Swakopmund and at the confluence of Khan and Swapok rivers, with some plants living 1500-2000 years old.

On the way back to Swakopmund, we go to Walvis Bay for lunch. The hope was also to see Flamingos, but the tide was high, so we just enjoyed the view along with eating a great sushi.

Swakopmund is the last big town with supermarkets for the rest of our tour, so we shop for the next four days. Then, we enjoy a good German beer.

Total distance if by tour itinerary: 290kms, detour to Cape Cross 90kms

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0