Week 32: to Nata: Northgate lodge, a restday - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2015

Week 32: to Nata: Northgate lodge, a restday

"It's a good thing that is made in America. If it was made in Africa, people would die", the security guard says watching Patrick light the MSR stove. The guard and friend were curious how it worked, yet afraid. We are hard boiling eggs outside our room in the lodge for the next three day ride to Maun.

Yesterday was a lot of kilometers, 137, helped by a tailwind. The next three days to Maun will be about 100kms each. So we decide to get a little closer by relocating to the town of Nata shaving 13kms off tomorrow's ride, shopping for groceries, and to buy an adapter plug for recharging electronics. By leaving later and stopping in Nata getting these tasks done, tomorrow we can leave at first light.

Except the town has no water. For three days, no water. We check into a lodge at the junction of two main roads. They provide a bucket of water for us to use for bathing. We'll need more water to fill the flush tank to the toilet. Oh, but lodge has a pool! As we see employees dip buckets for water from the pool, guess we had better go for a swim before the water gets all used up for other purposes.

We are making progress across Botswana and hopefully touring the Okavango Delta.

We forgot to make a photo last night, but our tent was pitched under this nice tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Nata town, they have a Wimpy! Unfortunately the town has been without water for three days and the Wimpy has closed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Nata town. Lonely Planet describes it as dusty and that's about right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main junction in Nata. Straight takes you to Kasana and Victoria Falls, a left turn goes to Maun. In either direction the next major town in about 300km.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The security guy at Northgate Lodge is a very nice guy. He works here three months on, then goes home for 8 days.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 8,817 km (5,475 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0