Week 30: To Choma: with a little help from the wind - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2015

Week 30: To Choma: with a little help from the wind

The sun pops up on the horizon along with a little breeze. We are 8 kms out of town hoping to beat the heat and the wind. In Chiseseki, 20kms from Monze, there was a guesthouse that appeared to be nice. If we had known we might have continued on yesterday making these two days more equal in kilometers.

The landscape and the road is more of the same as yesterday, only today we go through a few towns and buy cold drinks at our rest breaks. The monotony broken by crossing the railroad tracks twice and cycling with the tracks on different sides. In addition to the ever present charcoal, we see crafts of drums, clay pots and tables being sold along the side of the road. We hear "how are you" for adults and children, no give me money.

There are lots of big trucks on the road, and it's nice that the road has a wide shoulder. We see many ZamBeef trucks loaded with cattle and pass by signs pointing to feed lots. Lots of signs pointing off the main road to "family" farms. Plenty of goats still roam free, and on this stretch, we see chickens in reed woven cages for sale.

Right after the halfway point, we cycled through a hilly section, the wind swirling not really hindering but not helping either. We are happy when the road "flattens" again.

Then the last 20kms a tailwind! We arrive to town at 1230 and check in to a hotel that has an Indian Restaurant. Samosas for lunch! Watching football on TV during the afternoon and recovering for the next two days cycling to Livingstone.

Charcoal for sale along side the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are still following the railroad from Lusaka to Livingstone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small fruitmarket and "Big Tula" across the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
African drums for sale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The landscape is dotted with these small hills. Does anyone know what they are and how they came to be?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingMight be mullock heaps from individual mini gold mines dug by individual prospectors. You see similar in the Victorian (Aust) gold fields area left by prospectors from the nineteenth century gold rush.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi Mike,
Thanks!
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 8,198 km (5,091 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0