Week 28: To Ngala: another beautiful beach - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2015

Week 28: To Ngala: another beautiful beach

"Are you waiting for your friend to come back? Is he checking out Kataya? I work for this one (he points to the road to the other lodge nearby). Kataya is cheaper, but there's no camping. The food same, cheaper at Kataya," a man tells Rachel waiting for Patrick to return from checking out Kataya. We had heard from other cyclists that the other lodge was expensive. It's before noon and it's getting hot and we check into Kataya.

The day started with a beautiful sunrise. The road is much the same as yesterday, nice surface, most of the time a nice shoulder. The downside was one stretch where the bridges were one lane. So to alert the traffic to slow down, a series of rumble strips were on each side leading to the bridge. These are very painful to go over on a bike and doesn't seem to slow the traffic down at all. There are lots of choices for lodges all along this stretch, except most advertise being 2kms off the main road on a sandy road, not fun when on a bike.

Today was the most views we've seen of the lake while cycling. The small villages we pass through have wooden racks drying the small fish from the lake. A few days ago riding to Nhkata Bay, we saw stringers of fish hanging outside the car window or on the front of a matatu.Today every once in awhile, we see someone walking along the road with a stringer of fish.

The advantage of being ready to ride when it's first light out is riding in the cool of the morning and getting to the destination early. We have all afternoon to enjoy the views, a lunch of beef curry and rice, and dinner of fish and chips. We watch the activity of the local people, the men getting the fish nets ready, the women washing clothes or dishes or themselves, and the kids playing.

The sun rises over Lake Malawi just as we are packed-up and ready to leave the London Lodge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several times during the day the road skirts the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah!
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of the day: beach chairs at Kataya Lodge. Our bungalow is maybe 100 feet behind us with the same view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women come and go to the lake shore to wash laundry, dishes and themselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishermen heading out at sunset.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 7,575 km (4,704 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0