Week 24: to Gitarama then on to Kigali: when two rest days are not enough - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2015

Week 24: to Gitarama then on to Kigali: when two rest days are not enough

"That's a nice picture", Rachel says, looking at hill after hill of steep terraced hillsides. "And that one", looking at about eight bikes lined up in a row with bundles of yellow plastic water containers. These snapshots are not seen from a bike this time but a vehicle. Yes, we took a ride all the way to Kigali.

We cycled up and away from Lake Kivu back to the junction of the Congo Nile Trail to the main road. Rachel recognized that more days off the bike were needed for her. Past the junction Patrick spots an empty truck, stops to ask the driver where he is headed. He was going all the way to Kigali. Our first thoughts were to only take a ride to Gitarama, the destination for today. Patrick negotiated a price to Gitarama and a price to Kigali.

Bikes were lifted up to the bed of the truck....fully loaded! This avoided the problem of watching all the stuff as there was a crowd around us. At Gitarama, we decided to go all the way to Kigali. We were dropped off about 3 kms from the guesthouse recommended by Joe Hindman (CGOAB, journal Congo Nile Trail). Thanks Joe, we would not have found this place without your recommendation!

Of course the Mamba Club was up the hill, a few steep we had to push. Rwanda named as the "land of a thousand hills" is an understatement about hills! The first thing we've noticed here in the city versus the rural areas....Muzungu has not been shouted at us and people step in to help push the bikes... without asking for money.

The Mamba Club is a recreational facility with swimming pool, bowling alley (the only one in Rwanda), restaurant and bar....and a hostel! We have a self contained room for a very nice price. There is also a bunk room with a balcony. A great place for two more days of rest.

Price negotiated, on the truck without having to unload
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mamba Club on the left and view of the city center on the hill across the valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Room at the Mamba Club, self contained
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Mamba Club even has a swimming pool!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a bowling alley! Every lane has a guy setting the pins and keeping score.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 6,701 km (4,161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0