Week 20: to Sipi Falls: back on the asphalt - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2015

Week 20: to Sipi Falls: back on the asphalt

"Your friend is camped here" says the man sitting by the side of the road. We arrive at Sipi Falls much sooner than expected and stopped at the sign for Moses Campsite. We push our bikes into the campground and meet Javier Martinez, from Spain who has been cycling for 5 years around the world.

"We have 300 friends in common on Facebook," Javier says. Rachel and Javier have been FB friends for 3 years and have messaged before about cycling in Tibet. It's fun to finally meet!

It's so easy for cyclists to miss each other on the road, a cyclist could be just around the corner and not know it. And we had lost our internet connection, how that has changed travelling. Now there can be instant connection with anyone around the world, email instead of poste resantes. While we were in the guesthouse in Kapchorwa, he cycled through town to Sipi Falls so we could have missed meeting.

We arrive early by 0900 and with a very warm welcome from Javier. He invites us for breakfast at the picnic table on the edge of cliff overlooking the valley. He has ordered chapati and is making guacamole. Uganda has the biggest and tastiest advocados and inexpensive. Patrick has ordered a spanish omelet and coffee. The spanish omelet arrived, only it was french toast.

There is a Spanish couple, Alex and Marta, with a private vehicle also in camp. We all walk into town for lunch of rice, beans, greens and chapati. Javier is arranging the shopping for dinner tonight. We go to different shops buying spaghetti, fresh tomatoes, and avocado. It's good to spread the business around.

Just before sunset, we all pile into the vehicle and drive up to a point with a great view of the surrounding cliffs, the waterfall and the valley.

Dinner is prepared and we all sit around the picnic table with our headlamps enjoying the company of fellow travellers, instant friends until our paths go in separate ways hoping to keep in touch.

Looking west across the Uganda plains below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then around the corner is Sipi Falls, much closer than we expected. These are the upper two falls, the lower one is the taller and more impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Javier, the spanish cyclist Rachel has been in touch with on facebook for years is staying at Moses Campsite. We of course move in too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good afternoon for bicycle maintenance. Cleaning the mud and dust off and re-installing the fenders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Javier is also working on his bike. This guy has been cycling for five years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walk to Sipi town for lunch with Javier and Alex & Martha, also Spaniards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the view over the plains from Moses Campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset from a nearby viewpoint.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 5,476 km (3,401 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0