Week 17: Travel to Kenya: Cars stop in crosswalks - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2015

Week 17: Travel to Kenya: Cars stop in crosswalks

"Our bags are packed, we are ready to go. The taxi's waiting outside our door." (John Denver, 1969)

Our guesthouse arranged a taxi big enough to hold bikes and gear to take us to the airport. We arrive early and wait for the check in counter to open, then checking in pay $80 for each bike...good news, all is checked in to Nairobi...so with the 12 hour layover in Istanbul, we don't need to deal with luggage.

The flight to Nairobi even with the half hour delay had us arriving at 8am. First we walk through the Health screen (body temperature scan), see an ATM and withdraw Kenyan shillings before going to immigration. We see lots of signs welcoming Global Entrepreneur Summit (GES) delegates. We get our pictures taken and fingerprinted and pay $50 each for visas, passports stamped, past nothing to declare for customs and outside. First impression! As we enter the crosswalk.....cars stop! No dodging traffic to cross the street.

"Who are you waving to?" Patrick says. Our Warmshowers host has sent a taxi to meet us and he is holding a sign with our names. As with left the airport, rather slowly with all the traffic, we see billboards with "Karibu, President Obama". He is coming to Nairobi to speak at the GES.

We are staying outside Nairobi in Muthiga, a suburb to the west of the city. Patrick has already arranged for a 3 day Masai Mara tour the day after tomorrow.

After 21 years plus a few weeks, we have returned to Nairobi.

Our guesthouse arranged a taxi large enough to fit the bike boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes being loaded on the plane. Always a relief to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a two hour flight back over Sulthanamet Istanbul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes coming off the plane. So far so good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our warmshowers host in Nairobi arranged a taxi to pick us up at the airport. Curb to curb service on this transfer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Obama is due to arrive in Nairobi in two days. Everywhere workers are cleaning up the city and there are American flags and billboards to welcome him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at our hosts house in the outskirts of Nairobi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a porch where Patrick can re-assemble the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the streets of Nairobi. American flags everywhere. Obama is their son coming home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beer in the neighborhood bar with Gertrude, our host.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0