Week 16: four-day tour to Svaneti region: Its a long ways to Ushguli..... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2015

Week 16: four-day tour to Svaneti region: Its a long ways to Ushguli.....

The drive to the upper Svaneti area in Georgia was wild and crazy. We have arranged with a tour office a 4 day trip with a private driver to visit Mestia and Ushguli in the Caucasus Mountains.

Only there are two other people in the car who have arranged a three day trip. They are originally from Iran and lived in America. It's a small car. Patrick says to the tour office lady, "no crazy driver", she assures us "good driver". We start out on a section of the road that we cycled into Tblisi. Not sure if it's ever a good idea to see a road you have cycled from a car or to see the perspective of a car driver in Georgia. The drivers seem to do what it takes to keep going down the road, either ignoring lines, speeding up or slowing down to let cars in as passing happens in the most unsafe times.

After 7-8 hours we reach our hotel, not in Mestia but in Cheburi still 40 kms away from Mestia, more like a farmstay. We will pay extra for the accomodation that includes breakfast and an evening meal. In the morning we drive to Mestia to see the Svanti Towers.

The road is winding, curvy, on the edge of high cliffs, sometimes following the river for 2 hours. We have to tell the driver to slow down in many spots. We will end up driving this road another three times! This is when it's best to not look at the road but the beautiful mountain scenery!

The next day we drive an additional 40 kms past Mestia to Ushguli. The medieval village of Chazhashi in Ushguli community lies between the Caucasus and Svaneti mountains.This area became a UNESCO site in 1996 with the preservation of the local Svan people heritage. The towers were used in defense. The houses were two story with the ground floor used for people and animals with a corridor giving access to the tower. The second floor used in the summer and provided storage and also access to the tower.

We arrived back into Tblisi just in time for Patrick to locate a dentist. A crown had fallen off, with some research we go to a clinic and the crown is back on....and NO CHARGE, FREE! Now we relax, see the area closer to Tblisi until we fly to Nairobi.

Our driver, Mishiko, stops often to fill the tanks with natural gas and benzine (gasoline), let the engine cool, check the tires
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our evening meal at the guesthouse in Cheburi, still 40 kms away from Mestia and 80 kms away from Ushguli
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mestia, Svaneti Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The drive up to Ushguli goes through many villages
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mestia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road to Ushguli
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The village of Chazhashi in Ushguli community situated at the confluence of Inguri and Black Rivers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
UNESCO site, village of Chazhashi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Preserved medieval Svaneti tower and house. A traditional tower with 3 to 5 floors used as defense against invaders or other local clans. Attached to a two story house with door providing access to the tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Confluence of the Inguri and Black Rivers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0