Week 132: four days in Missoula: pampered by friends - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2017

Week 132: four days in Missoula: pampered by friends

"I finally had my portrait taken by Adventure Cycling" Rachel says. We cycled across town from Beth and Charles home to Laura and Russ, stopping first at the headquarters of Adventure Cycling and then Greenough Park. We wanted a photo on the bridge over Rattlesnake Creek where we married on July 8, 1995.

Twice before we stopped for the traditional photo of the cyclist and his rig at the Adventure Cycling headquarters in Missoula, first when we married in '95 and again in 2006-07 on our way home after 13 months on the road. Today, as we ride up, we are greeted outside by Arlen and instructed to tell Beth, the receptionist, that we want a portrait. Polaroid pics are taken of all cyclists and stuck on a post-a-note to the wall, but we want the full deal of a photo against the grey backdrop behind the building. Arlen also calls Greg Sipple, one of the founders of Bikecentennial (today's Adventure Cycling), to let him know we are here. Beth gives us the office tour, cool to see all these used touring bikes on the walls. Patrick is considering hanging his bike above his own desk. Afterwards we meet Greg and he takes us to the photo archives and the 1993 picture of Patrick is found! We also purchase Greg's book about the history of the Trans-Am bicycle route.

Then on to Laura's and we meet Russ! The pampering that began with Beth and Charles driving us from Hamilton, continues. It just may be even more difficult to leave and finish the last of the home stretch. The snow on the hillsides slowly disappear. One afternoon, we take a hike up the Rattlesnake. In the evening we go to Lolo Peak brewery for their special of the week and good beer.

On the third day, we all meet at Greenough Park for a photo on the bridge where Patrick and Rachel married. Then to a local brewery, Kettlehouse North, and we see Alan, Laura's son. This is a great surprise. For dinner, Patrick and Rachel go to Paul's Pancake Palace with Charles and Beth for a turkey dinner special...we have several Thanksgiving Dinners we've missed and to make up for.

Our last day in Missoula, we shift back to Beth and Charles' house. They live on the southwest side of town and will make getting back on the road tomorrow a little easier. Today is about the final preparations for the next stretch by going shopping for supplies. We also sent a box home of items we no longer need to lighten the load.

So as we enter the last stage to home, if you've been following us and reading the journal, please sign our guestbook so that we know more about you and can thank you. It's been a morale booster to know that you've been out there.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Adventure Cycling office. Bikes everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel finally gets her portrait into the archives of Adventure Cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More bikes in Adventure Cycling offices.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greg Sipple, one of the founders of Bikecentennial, looks through his photo archive for Patrick's 1993 photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge over Rattlesnake Creek in Greenough Park where we married July 8, 1995
Heart 0 Comment 0
July 8 1995
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laura and Russ, fixing us all Moscow Mules.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here they are: Moscow Mules. Cheers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rattlesnake Creek. The fall colors are starting to come out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Russ and Laura at Rattlesnake Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheers again! At the Lolo Brewhouse this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel with her friends Beth and Laura at the Greenough Park bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another cheers! Missoula has lots of breweries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel again with her friends Beth and Laura.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 40,526 km (25,167 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0