Week 131: to Dillon: Clear skies over Montana - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2017

Week 131: to Dillon: Clear skies over Montana

"You see the beaver, I see his little eye" Patrick says as we are riding towards the major landmark in the area. "Looks like a face lying down, looking up. I see the eye and an outcropping that's the eyebrow, nose and mouth" Rachel replies. We are riding toward Breaverhead Rock also known as Point of Rocks, a limestone formation carved from the Beaverhead river and an ancient meeting place of trails. Sacagawea guiding the Lewis and Clark expedition recognized the rock and realized she may be close to her relatives. This gave the expedition hope of finding horses needed to cross the mountains from the native people.

This morning outside the bike camp there was mist above the river and frost on the grass. It's nice that we pitched the tent inside, Patrick packs it up leaving the inner tent clipped to the rainfly. We have our oatmeal and leisurly finish our coffee sitting on the couch ending up having one of latest starts! Out of town the shoulder disappears again and doesn't return until about 10 miles from Dillon. The air is crisp. The sky clear.

We reach Dillon around noon-time and stop in for a breakfast at MacDonald's and check WiFi. We stop at the IGA at the end of town for dinner supplies and snacks for tomorrow. Our camp is at the RV park south of town at the junction to Wisdom. The weather finally warmed up again today, sunshine, blue skies and clean air with majestic mountain views.

Our tent inside the shelter at Bob White Bike Camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding south today towards Beaverhead rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beaverhead rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Beaverhead Mountains to our west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cranes feeding in a harvested field with the Beaverhead Mountains beyond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 40,291 km (25,021 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0