Week 13: to Tunceli: hot, hot, hot - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2015

Week 13: to Tunceli: hot, hot, hot

"Tunceli is somewhere out there" Yusuf says after we reach the summit of the 5 km climb out of the city and we look north to the mountains. He was our first warmshowers host in Turkey, has cycled toured himself and convinced us to change our intended route.

We start the descent to the lake, and for about 18 kms there was no need to pedal but once. The ferry is loaded and ready to sail, we cycle right on for the lake crossing. Then joy ride turns to nightmare.

It's a 7 km long incline to Pertek, then 13kms up. Each curve we think we see the summit, but it's not to be, the road continues up and up and up. And so does the temperature. The views are gorgeous. Midway up the climb we stop at a shop for a cold drink and refill our bottles at one of the roadside water spigets.

Finally. We. Reach. The. Top at 50 kms from Elazig. Looking forward to the downhill. That was 8kms, then the road turns to rolling climbs. We can finally see Tunceli that is still 20 kms away.

Then the nightmare turns to screams. The hotel is on the other side of the gorge with one final climb up.

Yusuf rides with us to the top of the hill between Elazig and the ferry to Pertek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice downhill to the large lake across which we take the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
This castle got itself a much bigger moat than it bargained for when the dam was built that now holds back this lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the ferry it is all uphill. We have to gain about 750 meters altitude.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does it look hot in this photo? It was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They are working on changing this road to another four lane highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice scenery, but the temperature soars close to 36C and we are suffering. The landscape reminds of home in Idaho.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 4,151 km (2,578 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0