Week 128: to Chadron - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2017

Week 128: to Chadron

After lunch and dinner at the Antelope Cafe yesterday we make one more trip there this morning for breakfast. The morning is picture perfect: sunshine, no wind but cold. There actually was a frost warning for Gordon last night, but it is still a couple of degrees above freezing here this morning. What a difference from only a couple of days before in Valentine. Our host in Chadron promised us a "chamber of commerce" picture perfect day.

The route today has regular towns and no more big hills. We continue our gradual climb that started at about 300 meters altitude in Norfolk and crests out at 1200 meters at the Pine Ridge. It is beautiful cycling. Just like the last couple of days the fields are full of hay bales, the hills roll away to the horizon. The change today are the huge fields full of sunflowers. Then we crest a ridge and see pine tree covered hills before us. This is the Pine Ridge that marks the western edge of the sand hills. The contrast of the trees, hills and blue sky is beautiful.

We arrive in Chardron at about 1:00 and stop at the first barber we see on Main Street. Patrick badly needs a haircut. On our way into town, we see a cowboy with a big hat in a Geo Metro with Idaho plates. We had been on the look-out for Idaho plates since New Orleans and these are the first we see. The kid is getting a haircut too, he was born in Boise, his parents are now in Kellogg and he is studying at the College here.

After the haircut, Patrick finds his rear tire flat, we replace the tube, then head to the western edge of town to the Walmart. There is no bikeshop in town, but the Walmart carries patches and 700c innertubes. One more stop at the Dollar store so Rachel can get more of her favorite candy, smarties, then we head for our hosts house.

We find Kurt sitting in his driveway, grading papers. He teaches History at the college here. He knows what cyclists need, because he just finished a trip through Wyoming: shower, laundry and a beer. Later we have a very nice pasta dinner and interesting conversation. Tomorrow a restday.

School house in Clinton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small town America on the Nebraska prairies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jesse's bridge on the Cowboy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old farm truck resting in Nebraska prairie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hauling hay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"I promise, once we leave Nebraska: no more hay bale photos," Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Museum in Rushville.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windmill poking above a rise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hay bales and a distant barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take a lunch break after cresting the Pine Ridge divide. Downhill to Chadron from here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dawes County is "livestock friendly". We wonder if that means they are vegetarians here....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pine Ridge. Aptly named. Notice the old farmhouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First stop in Chadron: Patrick needs a barber badly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much better.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 38,989 km (24,212 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0