Week 114: to La Cruz: into the jungle - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2017

Week 114: to La Cruz: into the jungle

"Did I ever tell you, I don't cycle in the rain" that's a joke, though it is easier if already cycling when the rain starts versus starting out in the rain.

We are surprised by a huge thunderstorm downpour when we wake up. The norm has been that it rains in the afternoons, today is different. By the time we are ready to ride it has stopped raining, but the skies are very dark. Fortunately the storms are tracking away from us and we keep dry during our ride.

To our east are some good views of Costa Rica's highest mountain. To our west we get several views of the Pacific Ocean. When we reach La Cruz we get off the main road to find the city center and a supermarket. We are planning to go another 10 kilometers to a place recommended to us by the Australian cyclists we met at the Crocodile Bridge a couple of days ago. They told us meals are available to buy, but expensive, so we shop for dinner fixings. We also eat a couple of empanadas from the bakery and a cold drink sitting in the park.

Cabanas Canas Castilla is a beautiful lodge amidst a beautiful jungle. They offer camping for the lowest budget travelers, some budget rooms with fans and nice cabanas with all luxuries. The place is run by a Swiss couple who have been here twenty years. They have obviously put a tremendous amount of work in the place. We settle into the budget room (it is just too hot and humid to camp, plus potential for rain) and go for a hike down one of the marked trails. There are spider monkeys, howler monkeys, many birds and trees. Also it is very hot and humid and full of bugs that try to bite you. Jungle is beautiful, but it is not our place to just hang-out.

To stay on budget we do not order the dinner that is offered here. There is a kitchen area near the campground where we fix bean burritos with chips and salsa. We had been warned about the resident Turkey when we first arrived. When Rachel went to the kitchen the path was blocked by the Turkey and would not let her pass! Finally,though she navigated around the animal with it pecking at her heels. We will remember this when celebrating Thanksgiving dinner this year.

We also carried a little box of Chilean red wine so it's a good afternoon.

A volcano is visible under the clouds to our east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most rain has been in heavy downpours later in the afternoon. Today we wake up to rainy weather and ride in overcast all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Crested Caracara. (Thank you for the research Bill)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dark clouds over the mountains to our east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parrots. They are beautiful but make awful noises.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break in La Cruz. The main road skirts the town but there are shops and a nice park in the center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About ten kilometers down the road is the Cabanas Canas Castilla. The Australian cyclists we met a couple of days ago told us about this place. It is about three kilometers off the main road and set amidst dense jungle alongside a river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our patio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red Ginger flower (thank you for the research Bill)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spider monkeys in the trees at Cabanas Canas Castilla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spider monkeys in the trees at Cabanas Canas Castilla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spider monkeys in the trees at Cabanas Canas Castilla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take one of the marked trails and see flowers, monkeys and lots of different trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spider monkeys in the trees at Cabanas Canas Castilla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tropical Milkweed. (Thanks for the research Bill)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spiky tree bark and red flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 32,890 km (20,425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0