Week 11: R & R in Istanbul: part 2: not always just about sightseeing - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2015

Week 11: R & R in Istanbul: part 2: not always just about sightseeing

Then too, it's a time to take care of housekeeping type tasks. Patrick lost a tiny screw on his glasses, so one morning was about getting his glasses repaired. After going to shop after shop showing the glasses and asking for repair, we learned to ask the right question. We asked where to go to get glasses and we were directed to an optik shop that had a repair kit.

Another task was finding bearings for a Phil Wood hub. The Patrick's wheel developed a click (probably due to a bad bearing in the cartridge) We switched it to Rachel's bike since she has a lighter load, but want to get it fixed. We have the replacement part but wanted more bearings. This was another morning adventure. We found the area of bike shops and advice where to buy the bearings at an auto shop, but unsuccessful in communicating how to replace; that will be another day unless absolutely needs replacing which Patrick could do.

Then back to sightseeing. We took a 3 hour tour of the Bosphorus only that it was actually a 6 hour tour. The 3 hour part was on the boat going out to a point where the Bosphorus meets the Black Sea and back to Istanbul, with a few hours on shore.

Narrow crowded streets of Sultanahmet. After the "dead" cities of eastern Europe the hustle and bustle is refreshing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These icecream vendors make quite the spectacle out of buying a cone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet a fellow cyclist who broke his camera. We help him out with some "end-of-the-trip" photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Egyptian obelisk in Istanbul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fresh cherries are great!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of stray cats in the city. Some of them look scrawny, some have it made.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View over the Sea of Marmara from one of the roof-top restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selfie-sticks are everywhere! People these days walk around beautiful sites taking blurry pictures of themselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turkish treats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Removing the freewheel seems to be the biggest obstacle to replace the bearings. "I explain I have the freewheel remover tool; all we need is a vice and some leverage." without success. In the end we decide not to worry about it, the wheel still runs fine, one of these days there will be a garage next to our hotel and we'll take care of it then.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Egg delivery in Sultanahmet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachel is on the hunt for a spice grinder.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We take a boatride down the Bosporus to the Black Sea. We hadn't counted on the 2 1/2 hour lunchbreak at the far point so it turns into an all-day event.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large ships make their way through the narrows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We never quite leave the suburbs of Istanbul behind, but there are some smaller towns and fishing harbors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of the Bosporus with the Black Sea beyond. They are building a third bridge across.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0