Week 1: So it begins - to Hilvarenbeek - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2015

Week 1: So it begins - to Hilvarenbeek

"I see why it will take you two years to cycle around the world", says Linda, Patrick's sister. We have stopped at the city limit of Ossendrecht to take more photos. We have already taken photos prior to setting off, including the loaded bikes, our shirts celebrating 20 year anniversary, and a group photo in the driveway.

Finally, after another set of photos, Frans, Linda, Patrick and Rachel are off to Oma's for coffee. Petra will join us and stay with Oma as Patrick will say goodbye and then later will pick up Frans and Linda while we continue cycling.

So it begins.....

Bikes fully loaded and ready to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Patrick's hometown of Ossendrecht. 21 Years ago Rachel cycled with Patrick through this same place as we arrived back from his round-the-world bike trip. Back then, we were greeted by a marching band and escorted to City Hall where Patrick received the keys to the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Patrick's dad, sister and oma at oma's house in Putte. We made a brief stop here before setting off again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick's father and sister join us on the first 60km of the ride from Ossendrecht to Baarle Nassau. We find some good bikepaths like these, but also ride some sections on busier roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We cross back and forth between the Netherlands and Belgium several times today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
De Vrijthof in Hilvarenbeek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrive in Hilvarenbeek and find a local Indonesian style restaurant. Our bikes are parked outside where we can keep an eye on them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul and Karen, our first warmshowers hosts this trip give us a great reception in Hilvarenbeek.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ossendrecht to Hilvarenbeek route. I took a wrong turn out of Poppel and we ended up way south of Hilvarenbeek. We had to battle a headwind north into Hilvarenbeek.

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 89 km (55 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0